[PD] devel_37 CVS compile error [solved, but not really...]

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Mon Oct 11 22:45:34 CEST 2004

Tim,

 > could you try to remove the && !defined(DAZ) from m_pd.h and change in
 > m_simd_sse_gcc.h
 > #ifdef DAZ
 > #ifndef DAZ
 > (line 49)

 > if you still have problems, please get rid of all externals to figure
 > out, if the problem is still a pd problem ...

Recompiled with the changes you asked for, got rid of all externals
[except ggge's stripfilename, which was needed to load samples into the
test patch] and reloaded my "performance patch". Same problems. Climbing
CPU use which kills the audio dead.

 > also send my the output of cat /proc/cpuinfo

derek 21:59:12> cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 2
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.60GHz
stepping        : 4
cpu MHz         : 1600.381
cache size      : 512 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 1
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
bogomips        : 3153.92

My assumption this whole time has been that PD under Linux is just badly
optimized for the Pentium 4, and that the poor performance can be blamed
on denormalized numbers and other such P4 related problems. I have in
fact seen this denormal problem cripple much simpler patches than the
one I am using to test with right now. In fact, if anyone has worked out
a good test patch for denormals [a battery of feedback delays driven by
an impulse, maybe???], could they send it this way?

However, if the following is true, then it might be time to ditch this
machine as hopelessly underpowered for my needs anyway:

cdr wrote:
> this is just a ballpark guess, but a p4 1.6g is proably equivalent to something like a 1.0 or 1.2g athlon. 50% cpu in one could be 70-80 in the other, and since dropouts may happen before reaching 100 due to system/driver overhead...

OTOH, I'd like to see some more...um...scientific benchmarks before I
follow this line of thinking ;-)

Thanks for the help so far!
d.

--