[PD] WinXP: Using Mouse as Generic Input Device?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Oct 11 22:39:59 CEST 2004

On Oct 11, 2004, at 3:55 PM, Ryan Supak wrote:

> >> Instead, I want to use it sinply to input raw control data into
> PD.  I'm
> >> imagining input floats such as "X Position", "Y Position",
> "Button1",
> >> "Button2", "Wheel Inc", "Wheel Dec".
>
> >The GEM library features a mouse object with such values.
>
> Hmm....I can see how to use [gemmouse] to input mouse info from a
> mouse device "that is being used as a mouse", but i'm looking to get
> input from mouse devices that are "not being used as mice".  I just
> want their inputs to function as generic control data.
>
> Thanks for the reply nonetheless,

I think that MacOS X and Windows will claim any mouse that is plugged
in.  I think you'd have to write your own driver in order to avoid
this.  With X Windows based systems, such as GNU/Linux, BSD, etc. you
can configure where the GUI gets the mouse data, so it wouldn't be too
hard to do what you want to do.  Also, there aren't any objects for
getting raw mouse on Windows.  On GNU/Linux, there is [linuxevent] and
[linuxmouse].

I am in the process of writing such objects for MacOS X.  I haven't
decided whether I need to use the native APIs or whether I can do it
with libSDL.  If I use libSDL, then it should work on Windows with only
a recompile.

____

"Information wants to be free."
                              -Stewart Brand