[PD] WinXP: Using Mouse as Generic Input Device?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Oct 12 01:37:30 CEST 2004

Its the same kind of thing.  If the driver support it, which I think
the tablet driver might.  I'll bet that the synaptics touchpad had a
special driver, which would allow it to not be reported as a mouse.
But there might be something in the Windows or DirectX API that allows
you to steal the mouse from the OS, like for gaming.

.hc

On Oct 11, 2004, at 5:35 PM, julien.breval at tremplin-utc.net wrote:

> How about a graphic tablet ? (there's a GEM interfacing object)
>
> www.wacom.com
>
> Selon Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org>:

>>> PD.  I'm
>>> "Button1",

>>> Hmm....I can see how to use [gemmouse] to input mouse info from a
>>> mouse device "that is being used as a mouse", but i'm looking to get
>>> input from mouse devices that are "not being used as mice".  I just
>>> want their inputs to function as generic control data.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the reply nonetheless,
>>
>> I think that MacOS X and Windows will claim any mouse that is plugged
>> in.  I think you'd have to write your own driver in order to avoid
>> this.  With X Windows based systems, such as GNU/Linux, BSD, etc. you
>> can configure where the GUI gets the mouse data, so it wouldn't be too
>> hard to do what you want to do.  Also, there aren't any objects for
>> getting raw mouse on Windows.  On GNU/Linux, there is [linuxevent] and
>> [linuxmouse].
>>
>> I am in the process of writing such objects for MacOS X.  I haven't
>> decided whether I need to use the native APIs or whether I can do it
>> with libSDL.  If I use libSDL, then it should work on Windows with
>> only
>> a recompile.
>>
>> .hc

>> __
>> ____
>>
>> "Information wants to be free."
>>                               -Stewart Brand
>>

> --

____

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.
								-David Zicarelli