[PD] PD really slow, crashing and no sound

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Oct 12 10:06:08 CEST 2004

Hallo,
William Robinson hat gesagt: // William Robinson wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 21:43, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > Strange, strange, ...
> >
> > > These are the error messages (relating to OSS) I get when I run pd
> > > -verbose (but I get no sound):
> >
> > Could you try to run Pd with "-noadc" to not use full-duplex? Also: If
> > you run Pd without audio at all ("pd -noaudio") is it still that
> > sluggish?
>
> -noadc seemed to fix the responsiveness and OSS and ALSA worked using
> it, but not jack though. Well, I mean the test tone worked. -noaudio
> worked as well (of course?), but I'm guessing that it's not quite as
> useful.

Not useful, but I was trying to rule out some other possibilities for
the sluggish behaviour. But it seems, this is related to the sound
input or at least the sound in full duplex. (You could try to use
"-nodac" to check the other end of half duplex as well to see if Pd
then still is sluggish.)

> Thanks for the help. Is there anything that I can do to get full-duplex
> working? It works with most other programs.

I have really no idea and I think this somehow is strange behaviour
and Pd /should/ work with the AC97 chip.

Something else to try would be different combinations of samplerate
and maybe buffer/period sizes (-r/-blocksize in pd).

Then in the end, if you intend to do a bit more serious work with
sound (not only using Pd) I would recommend to get a real soundcard
anyway. Even a cheap old SBLive will work much better than the Via- or
any other AC97-chip, and those more expensive cards based on the
ICE1712 or similar chips are generally working very well, too.

Ciao