[PD] WinXP: Using Mouse as Generic Input Device?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Oct 12 16:16:34 CEST 2004

On Oct 12, 2004, at 8:46 AM, Marc Lavallée wrote:

> Le 11 Octobre 2004 10:58, Ryan Supak a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've got WinXP and I'm wondering if I can plug a second mouse in --
>> but not
>> have it act as a system pointer device (e.g., as a thing that
>> controls the
>> cursor on the screen).
>>
>> Instead, I want to use it sinply to input raw control data into PD.
>> I'm
>> imagining input floats such as "X Position", "Y Position", "Button1",
>> "Button2", "Wheel Inc", "Wheel Dec".
>
> Try with a serial mouse. Here's a simple description of the m$ mouse
> protocol,
> along with a C code snippet:
> http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/dataformats/serialmouse/
> Using this code, it should be easy to write a serial mouse decoding
> external,
> and use it with the comport external. Too bad I'm not working with PD
> these
> days, because I would code it right away.
> --
> Marc

There is already a serial mouse object in the CVS, tho I can't vouch
for whether it works or not.  But I must say that serial mice leave a
lot to be desired as controllers.  For example, I believe that have a
24Hz refresh rate.  But they are quite hackable.

____

deliberately throwing it
away to benefit those who profit from scarcity."
							-John Gilmore