[PD] WinXP: Using Mouse as Generic Input Device?

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Wed Oct 13 10:54:01 CEST 2004

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Ryan Supak wrote:

> Hi, I'm messing with the [comport] object right now, trying to sketch out
> a subpatch to interpret raw MS serial mouse data since I can't get
> [serialmouse] to do anything.  I'm using this link as my guideline:
> http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/dataformats/serialmouse/

The serialmouse abstraction uses serialctl to get the data from the
serial port, translates them into float numbers and then the
serial_ms external parses this stream of floats into mouse events.

serialctl is basically the same as comport, but it is older and
linux only, therefore I advice not to use it.

The problem with serial mice is that you have to send them an
initialisation message, otherwise they won't work. That might
be the problem that you encounter.

Guenter