[PD] [GEM] texture maps

Malte Steiner steiner at block4.com
Thu Oct 14 22:20:07 CEST 2004

> which apart from colour?

It seems to take Diffuse,Ambient and Specular settings (intensity +
color) and maybe shininess, but definetly ignores opacity.

>>> (i also dream of realtime paint effect
>>

>> maybe you should look on squeak (www.squeak.org), nice free multimedia
>> system.
>

> had a quick look and don`t really get the connection between advanced
> shading or self
> written maya paint effects and sueak.... maybe you could give me a hint.
> i feel a little
> mucked... maybe just because of the beautiful start page. just tell me
> if you ment that
> serious.. have you ever made your own paint effects in maya?
no, dont have the money for maya, I licensed Lightwave but feel more and
more attracted to free opensource software like Blender where you not
got ripped for each update.
I might be wrong but when you said Paint effects I thought something
like active textures which are possible with Squeaks 3D engine, each GUI
Element, socalled morphs, can generate and change a texture in realtime.
Of course its possible with GEM too, one example are the videotextures.
But the possibilitys with Squeak are very interesting and it becomes
another item in my toolbox for interactive art. With the classes of the
Siren project it can be interfaced via OSC. And have a look at the
croquet 3D collaborative environment!

Cheers,

Malte
--