[PD] firewire linux/osx soundcard to use with PD?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Oct 15 00:34:05 CEST 2004

Hallo,

(I'm CC'ing pd-list again, because that's helpful for others, too.)

altern hat gesagt: // altern wrote:

> hi frank
> >AFAIK no firewire soundcard runs on Linux yet, but developers are
> >getting close.
>
> how close are they? do you know if this is going to take very long? I
> need to buy now a external sndcard and i have a powerbook 12". I would
> love to have a soundcard that runs both on osx and linux and it would be
> great to use it via Firewire, but this is impossible.

http://freebob.sf.net is the place to watch for Firwire audio support.
They are devloping a driver for FW-cards with the DM1000 chip with
support from the chip manufacturer. Cards with this chip include
(according to website):

* ESI QuataFire 610
* M-Audio Firewire Audiophile
* M-Audio Firewire 410
* M-Audio Firewire 1814
* Terratec Aureon 7.1 FireWire
* Edirol FA-101

I have no idea how far they are and how easy this is, but my
uneducated guess is: 4.6 to 8.1 months.

> What about usb2.0?

ALSA seems to support USB 2.0 devices in kernel 2.6, but I don't know
any details.

> thank you very much for your tips. I have been trying to find info on
> the net but its confussing. Do you recomend any mailing list or url?

alsa-user is the best list for this and linux-audio-user. [1]
Also searching the alsa-devel archives is useful. See alsa-project.org
for subscription info.

Ciao