[PD] [announce][no-Linux] hidin object

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Oct 15 03:09:02 CEST 2004

Hey, this is good actually.  I am knee deep in writing a cross-platform
HID I/O object and I am working now MacOS X with GNU/Linux to follow.
But I looked at DirectX and it looked ugly, so I decided not to mess
with it.

Its going to be structured very similarly to my [linuxevent] object,
with the addition of taking input from the inlet in order to control
haptic feedback, LEDs, etc.  I chose to use the Linux scheme of
representing events (time, type, code, and value) because its the
cleanest after looking at libSDL, DirectX, Darwin HID Manager, USB HID,
and Linux input event.  The USB HID style stuff (i.e. DirectX and HID
Manager) just seems needlessly complicated.  Also the Linux input event
headers are all GNU GPL, so I can easily include them, unlike DirectX
or HID Manager.

Also, I just tested [hidin] with my Logitech Wingman Force 3D.  I used
the PureData-0.37-2003.10.19.exe from puredata.org on WinXP.  I got
input from the joystick, but it was strange.  This may be because its a
force feedback joystick and I didn't install a specific driver for it.
Here's what was happening: all three axes had this format of data:

                    center
|- left end          |             right end -|
64..................127 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

So 127 was the center, in one direction, it went down to 64, everything
the other direction was zero.

.hc