[PD] Tuning PD with 2.6.9-rc3-mm3-VP-T3

thewade pdman at aproximation.org
Sat Oct 16 03:47:27 CEST 2004

I just got 2.6.9-rc3-mm3-VP-T3 running on my AMD64 laptop. I was told some people are opperating their machines with jack running at 64 frames of buffer. My jackd statement looks like this:
sudo jackd -R -d alsa -d hw:1 -r 48000 -p 256
anything less than 256 causes xruns just when I move the mouse around...

When I run medium sized patches I get errors like A/D/A Sync: What causes these errors? When I run large patches jackd says something like delay of xxxx usec spare time yyyy restarting... What configure options should I have built jack with? (./configure --with-default-tmpdir=/dev/shm)

My .pdrc file looks like this:
-jack
-rt
-path /usr/local/lib/pd/externs
-path /usr/local/lib/pd/extra
-path /home/wade/pd/general
-path /home/wade/pd
-lib sphere~
-lib fftbin~
-lib zexy
-lib Gem
-mididev 1,2,3
-r 48000
-channels 18

If I dont specify an audiobuf or blocksize, what are the defaults?

Im using a hammerfall multiface, and it seems like a brand new machine with a super-duper kernel and a nice piece of hardware like the hammerfall should allow me to run pd at 5.333 msec latency without xruns or delay of xxxx usec spare time yyyy restarting... errors. Can someone help me to get pd, jack and my machine tuned?

I dont have preemptable latency tracing because Ingo M. told me that it causes badness on x64 architectures, so I cant use that.

Thanks for the help!
-thewade