[PD] running plot of sampled data

Matthias Blau blau_m at web.de
Sun Oct 17 11:29:10 CEST 2004

matthew jones schrieb:
> I guess you want to use [env~] instead?
> Using [snapshot~] has the possibility of returning a stream of zeros even if
> the signal is quite loud (ie. if it sampled at the zero crossings each
> time).  I Usually use an [env~] feeding into a [-90] which feeds into a vu
> object...
>
> However, since I have my doubts on the efficiency of the env~ object for
> such operations, if ANYONE CAN SUGGEST HOW TO IMPLEMENT A ONE-TAP IIR FILTER
> it may be just as well to be using [snapshot~] in a different arrangement:

Well, I personally have snapshot~ preceeded by lp1_t~ from the iemlib,
which implements a first order low pass of a given time constant.
So a simple sound level meter would just be squaring the incoming
signal, feeding it to lp1_t~ (time constants 125ms for "FAST", 1000ms
for "SLOW"), and sampling the result with snapshot~.

--Matthias