[PD] libtool & osx

Tom Schouten doelie at zzz.kotnet.org
Sun Oct 17 18:45:33 CEST 2004

On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 01:12:50PM +0200, Tim Blechmann wrote:
> hi all ...
>
> i'm currently working on a build system based on build system for
> externals ... i found libtool on linux quite useful, but there are
> problems with libtool on osx ...
>
> any hint by an osx guru, how an autoconf/autobuild/libtool package is
> supposed to look like on osx?
>
> cheers ... tim

hi tim,

osx is quite complicated for linking. as far as i understand, there
are 2 mechanisms (onelevel and twolevel namespaces).

in addition to that, there are 2 library formats: system library
(dylib) and dynamic object. maybe this distinction is the same
as above. the system lib is solved with libtool, and the other
can be solved too, but i never understood how to do this actually.

there's a problem with 'budle loading' and chained dependencies
too. an example for this is pdp/pidip on osx. in any case, if you
want to use the standard 2-level module loading mechanism in libtool,
you need to refer to the program that loads the plugin, being pd.

i currently solve it in pf using 1-level namespaces and dlopen from
fink, but that's quite a messy workaround. to me it seems the
sanest approach though. osx is really strange and not very friendly
to the 'standard unix way' of doing things, as far as you can take
solaris/linux to be the standard. you can turn this argument upside
down of course.

cheers
tom