[PD] libtool & osx

Tom Schouten doelie at zzz.kotnet.org
Mon Oct 18 11:16:44 CEST 2004

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 11:56:39AM +0200, Tim Blechmann wrote:
> > Although I love libtool, I think that the building of externals
> > is working quite well, especially on OSX and linux.
> > Why should we take the burden of using libtool ?
> well ... there is no proper build system for flext externals ...
> using libtool, it's very easy to build flext externals on linux ... so
> i'd prefer using libtool on other platforms, too ...

i sort of have to agree with guenter here:
libtool is not really going to reduce the complexity of the build process,
because you will need platform-dependent flags anyway, as far as i
understand. and unnecessary complexity is pure evil..

why not find out what these flags are for each platform,
(one time programming :) and pass them to the linker manually?
thomas' build system should have all the info.

the autotools are for portable programs across many unices.
pd and especially libraries and externals do not really fit that
shoe (always) i think..

to make sure i'm not talking bullshit, can you post the libtool
flags you need to do this on osx?