[PD] which book

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Oct 18 16:18:08 CEST 2004

Hallo,
mählpeak hat gesagt: // mählpeak wrote:

> curtis roads computer music tutorial

No.

> dodge and jerse computer music:synthesis,composition,performance

Yes.

> i'd be glad if someone tells me which is overall better...

Both are very different.

You didn't say, what you are looking for in these books, which could
be important. I have both, but so far only read the Dodge/Jerse
completely, the Roads only about 300 pages. The Roads is more like a
reference book. It also contains a lot of references like: "To find
out more about speech synthesis read [1], [2] and [3]." Not that
helpful for beginners, IMO. The Dogde/Jerse however is a wonderful
introduction to a lot of synthesis techniques, with enough easily
understandable explanations to make you want to go patching right
away. So read the Dodge first, if that is what you look for, buy the
Roads if you want to have a general compendium which is a bit short on
deeper explanations unfortunatly.

My 2C.

Ciao