[PD] a/d/a and jackd alsa low-latency problems

vanDongen/Gilcher gml at xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 20 13:05:29 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 19 October 2004 07:40, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Whooho, 64 already is *very* small. I never heard of anybody run jack with
> 32. That's almost hard-realtime!

Several people are running jack with -p8 or -p16 using the latest
realtime-preempt patches on linux 2.6.9
I can run -p16 without xruns on 2.6.9-rc4-mm1 as long as I don't use
disc-access, that's even without ingo's latest harder realtime patches.
(Of course if I don't do anything, no apps, no X, just start jackd, I can go
to -p8. But that is really pointless, but neat.)
I'll try the latest patches and do the latency-limbo, how low can you go.

The downside is that periodsizes that small are less efficient for synthesis,
so the same thing takes more cpu and you hit your performance ceiling sooner
In a way it is useless to go that low, but it does mean that the entire system
is more robust, so bigger periods will perform better as well.

ciao

Gerard

--
electronic & acoustic musics-- http://www.xs4all.nl/~gml