[PD] compiling externals on osx

martin pichlmair pi at attacksyour.net
Sat Oct 23 11:46:21 CEST 2004

hi,

> Here is goes. My pd is now on applications so the path to  the app
> package is /applications/Pd-0.38-0test7.app

good

> but the pd executable would be (if i am right)
> /applications/Pd-0.38-0test7.app/contents/resources/bin/pd

right

> i find myself often lost in docens of windows open. I dont understand
> how to deal with the window system. I am planning to install linux as
> i am more happy with the way it deals with navigating within
> directories and stuff like that, but i am disgressing...

on the command line this is essentially the same on linux and osx. one
terminal window should be enough for the task of compiling and even
also starting pd. but of course it is a matter of getting used to the
mac.

> prefix=$(DESTDIR)/usr/local/pd

this should read /Applications/Pd.../Contents/Resources/extra if you
want to install using "make install". i usually just copy the
.pdp_darwin file by hand.

> PDEXECUTABLE = /usr/local/pd/bin/pd
> # or ../../../pd/bin/pd

this should be /Applications/Pd.../Contents/Resources/bin/pd

> MACOSXINCLUDE = -I. -I.. -I../include

And this line should be appended with
-I/Applications/Pd.../Contents/Resources/src

of course the Pd... in the above paths means Pd-0.38-0test4-HCS.app

then it should work.

lg
martin

attacksyour.net/pi