[PD] a simple recording/looping solution ?

Ian Smith-Heisters heisters at 0x09.com
Tue Oct 26 19:58:41 CEST 2004

Looks good to me. I didn't actually try it out because I'm lazy and I
didn't want to dig out my microphone, but it looks good. You can label
inlets (at least on linux and windows) by giving them an argument, then
it will pop up when you hover your mouse over it :)

The one thing I would have done differently, and I'd be interested to
hear what some more experienced PD gurus would say about this, is that I
try never to "calculate" time, that is, if I'm looking for a value in
samples or seconds I always try to get it from the source, in this case
the place where you set the maximum length. The reason is that I've
noticed some (sometimes rather large at high CPU load) discrepancies
between CPU time and real time.

For instance, I was working with a friend and we were both trying to
trigger records at the same time, so he would netsend me a bang and we
both had the bang start recording, then go through a 30 second delay, so
it would stop recording, theoretically, at the same time on both
computers. Sometimes my recording would be almost twice as long as his
because (I suppose) my CPU was so much busier than his.

But more generally, you can almost always get the real value of
something (an array's length for example) programatically rather than
trying to calculate it, unless you're measuring analog inputs.

Hope that helps,
Ian