Fwd: [PD] camera ip

Thomas Sivertsen thomas at bek.no
Wed Oct 27 00:02:04 CEST 2004

nico wrote:

>> hi

Just one thing. Which _specific_ camera is this? perhaps an Axis 2100?

>> camera send a constant flux of image at 10 pict / secondes
>> if i made an external wrapper ( i believe it mean that i have to
>> download every picture from a server), the time it will take to dl is
>> to long for having the same flux that the camera flux.

Well, I've used an Axis 2100 which can upload JPEGs at intervals of one
frame per second (or was there a sub-second feature? - don't
remember...). It also has a streaming CGI-module which is not usable
outside a java applet or an ActiveX plugin. However, the CGI stream has
been decoded and played as-fast-as-possible in Keystroke at one point (2
years ago?). I can ask the programmer if he can open-source it (if he's
still around at Keyworx). I think it was really at a pre-alpha stage,
and then he stopped developing it cause he didn't have the camera himself.

Anyway. If you are running PD on Linux, enable FTP, then upload an image
to the machine running the patch - at the fastest possible interval.
Then load them with a frame-number. Viola. Should wokr if you don't need
real-realtime. Or you could use 'wget' to pull it off the camera as fast
as possible. I've got a shell-script around here somewhere that does that.

A PD-object that could simply point to an IP and receive video would be
delicious, though. :-)

>> this camera is great, it diffuse itself (without computer) a flux of
>> image, and it's possible to read the flux via ethernet cable in
>> firefox for example.

Sounds like an Axis, alright.

>> is it hard for the future to build an object that look the ethernet
>> port for such material?

Well, depends on the format and how you want to use it. You need to know
the format and it's destination (gem, pdp, gridflow, framestein,,
etc.).  It is most likely a web-server with some compressed video data
going over the connection to a specific client-plugin in the
web-browser. Knowing which camera and which format would help a lot, not
to mention which platform you are on. It's not trivial, as far as I
know. At minimum you need to know the format and the protocol. After
that, it depends on which OS you are using.

>> excuse my poor english

No worries.

>> thank you all

Hope this helps. :-)