[PD] audio effect rack

Eric Skogen eskogen at usfamily.net
Wed Oct 27 05:46:13 CEST 2004

this is a cool topic. i tried out some code here:

http://www.audionerd.com/projects/pd/patches/example-fx_rack.pd

i treat the effects similar to voices in a polyphonic synthesizer.
inside each effect subpatch voice there is a "through" from the previous
voice along with a signal going to the audio process. when the audio
process is [switch~]ed off, the "through" is enabled, allowing a bypass.
that [switch~] i mentioned is inside a subpatch WITHIN the effect voice
subpatch. this sub-subpatch is where your actual effects processing is
housed.

that was a horrible explaination, so you may want to just look through
the patch... !

there is some weirdness, but i like it as a quick example of what can be
done...

it occured to me while writing this that i should be using frank's
memento stuff. it also occured to me that it helps to organize subpatch
names by their OSC names, so my distortion subpatch was called [pd
/fx/distortion] (could probably just be "/distortion" within "/fx"...)
... what if Pd could recognize a signifier like this, and automatically
route messages to subpatches and abstractions and so forth?

and as to grammar: it's late! cut me some slack!