[PD] GEM: pix_image reloading image already loaded

Etienne Desautels titi at sat.qc.ca
Thu Oct 28 04:50:02 CEST 2004

Hi all,

I did for an interactive video installation a pd-GEM patch, a kind of
video sequencer. I'm on mac os 10.3.5 with pd 0.37 and GEM 0.90. I use
pix_image to load images on a rectangle and I have 2 problems with it.

First, pix_image have a system to keep each loaded image in the
computer memory for using it later if you reload the _exact_ same
image. But if you load a lot, say hundreds, of images, that will use a
lot of memory. I'd like to know if there's a way to avoid this, a way
to release this memory ?

Secondly, I think there's a bug in pix_image (and pix_multiimage also).
It's suppose to use the data image in the cache if you reload the
_exact_ same image, but it doesn't seem to work. That make my first
problem even worst because each time you reload the same image, gem
will put it another time in memory, so the memory will grow
indefinitely. I did the test with pix_image and pix_multiimage and on 2
different computers (powerbook 667 with an ATI and a dual G4 1GHz with
an nVidia). Each time I reload the same image, I can see the memory
usage of pd growing. The only way to release the memory is to quit pd.
It's not an acceptable solution for me because my installation is
running all day long and at some point PD hang because there's no more
memory and swap.

You could try it by using the help patch of pix_image and keep
reloading the same image and watching the memory usage of pd in top.

Thank you for your help.

Etienne