[PD] Using two qwerty keyboards (one standard, one USB) attached to the

ClaudiusMaximus gloriousclaudiusmaximus at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Oct 31 04:33:49 CET 2004

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> Yes, this should be quite easy to do on GNU/Linux as long as you are
> using the Linux input event system.  Any relatively recent 2.4.x kernel
> will support it, or all 2.6.x kernels.  Basically, if you load the
> 'evdev' module, all USB devices get their own /dev/input/event? device.
>  So your USB keyboard will show up there.  What I don't know off hand
> is how the console and X/GNOME/KDE will deal with multiple keyboards.
> I'd be interested to hear whether  all of the keyboards' output is
> grabbed.

It seems that it is the case that all of the keyboards are grabbed: I
plugged in both keyboards (one normal, one USB) and typing on both
showed up in the same terminal window (this is a gterm in GNOME).  This
was without evdev loaded.

Then I did an /sbin/modprobe evdev, and it behaved the same way - both
keyboards had the same effect when typing.