[PD] [PD]sys_vgui()?

Matju matju at sympatico.ca
Sun Oct 31 20:03:40 CET 2004

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004, Rory Walsh wrote:

> Can anyone explain what exactly this routine does? When trying to
> write an object to display a bitmap or jpeg on the PD canvas I came
> across this very useful routine. I guess it’s a routine that
> interpreters tcl/tk scripts? Can anyone explain what exactly is does
> and what the parameters are? Cheers,

Pd is a client-server system connected by a socket. the client sends to
the server using the "pd" proc in Tcl, in the same format as [netsend].
The server sends to the client Tcl commands using sys_gui(), and the
client calls "eval" on them.

sys_gui() takes a single string argument. sys_vgui() is a combination of
sprintf() with sys_gui(), so it takes the same arguments as printf(),
which are (const char *format, ...) where format is a %-string.