[PD] Using two qwerty keyboards (one standard, one USB) attached to the

ClaudiusMaximus gloriousclaudiusmaximus at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Oct 31 20:29:35 CET 2004

vanDongen/Gilcher wrote:
> On Sunday 31 October 2004 03:33, ClaudiusMaximus wrote:
>

>>It seems that it is the case that all of the keyboards are grabbed: I
>>plugged in both keyboards (one normal, one USB) and typing on both
>>showed up in the same terminal window (this is a gterm in GNOME).  This
>>was without evdev loaded.
>

> But do you want this?

No!

> I had a problem with using a keypress to trigger a loop, because pd also sents
> it to the currently clicked numberbox f.i.
> What happended:
>  I just set the tempo to 170 BPM in a numberbox and didn't bother clicking the
> canvas afterwards.
> Then I pressed 1 to start the first loop, and behold, the tempo got set to 1
> BPM as well, so not much was happening.
> The focus is visible if you use numberbox2, but not on a "classic"-numberbox/
 >
> So using a secondary keyboard, it might be better to disable it as an
> X-windows ikeyboard-device, and use the hid-object to parse the input.
> That way you won't get these nasty surprises.

That's exactly what I want to do and why I want to do it, but I don't
know how!

The links that CK provided earlier in this thread seemed to be about
dual-head systems (with multiple Linux consoles each with their own
keyboard) and require kernel and X-server patches, whereas what I want
seems to be a lot simpler on the surface, just requires stopping the
X-server from recognising the USB keyboard as an input device.