[PD] Audio latency problems on Mac OS X

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Nov 2 06:38:42 CET 2004

On Nov 1, 2004, at 11:16 PM, Chadwick A. Wood wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a couple questions regarding PD on OS X and getting low latency
> for audio:
>
> 1. I'm using PD-0.38-0test4HCS1.  I forget which release this is (I
> know there are a couple of OS X packages out there).  I've started
> trying to decrease my latency using the -frags command line option.
> The problem is that with this (and all) command line options that I
> try to use with this app, on startup it says there was an error
> parsing the command line arguments.  When I look at my saved startup
> preferences, there is a square-looking character at the end of the
> arguments.  Has anyone else had this problem?

I think that's a bug in test4 that may have been fixed in test7, but I
haven't had time make a new package using Miller's 0.38test7...  You
can make a .pdrc file in your home folder and put those options there.
The FAQ should have some info on the .pdrc.
http://puredata.org/docs/faq

> 2. Since I'm having these problems with the saved start up options, is
> there a way to start pd from the command line on OS X?  Should I use a
> different OS X port that somebody has made?

I put my Pd into /Applications, so to run it from the command line, I
do:

/Applications/Pd-0.38-0test4HCS1.app/Contents/Resources/bin/pd

> 3. Is there some completely other way that I should go about trying to
> decrease my latency?
>
> I have a G4 1GHz powerbook.  I'm using an Audiophile USB card from
> m-audio.  The latency patch from the Tools says my latency is about 69
> ms.  I'd like to get to 10 so that I can play my guitar along with my
> patches and process it...

I haven't played with that much on MacOS X, so I am not much help to
you now.  I have heard of people getting 14ms on MacOS X, but that's
probably about as low as you'll get with the current state of things.
But that is much better...

____

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.
								-David Zicarelli