[PD] Pd on pure64 : Wrong value of array or tabread !

ix ix at replic.net
Thu Nov 4 16:04:35 CET 2004

On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 11:09:49AM +0100, guenter geiger wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Jamie Bullock wrote:
> > This might seem like an obvious question, but I'm not sure I understand
> > the issues. What is the advantage of running PD on a 64-bit
> > architecture? Does it run faster without code modifications (just
> > compiler option changes)?  Is there a 64-bit optimised version?
>
> Currently there are only disadvantages running Pd on a 64 bit machine.
> Later it will probably be the same, there are no 64bit optimisations.
> I think for signal processing there is not much gain going to 64 bit.
> The hardware sellers want to make us believe that we need 64bit, of
> course.

64bit seems to provide about a 25-30% average boost on many things like DSP and compilation (compared to the same chip on 32bit OS), just due to additional general-purpose registers available for GCC to make use of...at least thats my general impression based on compile times, CPU meters, and similar results fron anandtech tests...

afaik the only disadvantage to using Pd on 64bit is soundfiles will not load...if im ever compelled to boot into linux again soon i'll take a look at it..