[PD] displaying MIDI note names?

Matju matju at sympatico.ca
Thu Nov 4 23:55:23 CET 2004

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Stefan Tiedje wrote:

> > You can get at octaves as well. The "Max and Pitch" tutorials here:
> > http://www.sfu.ca/sca/Manuals/247/Max/Max.html are really wonderful,
> > although they don't translate completely to Pd. (But if you know, that
> > "%" in Max is "mod" in Pd, you'll come very far.)
>
> This is only almost true: % in Max (and Pd) is a mathematical correct
> modulo operator, that means it pulls out negative values on negativ
> input.

Excuse me, but after a few years of algebra, I can't think of [%] as
"mathematically correct". When working out modulo-arithmetic and
quotient-rings, the canonical-projection is defined in terms of [mod], not
of [%]. In modulo n, any pair of numbers that are n apart are considered
equal; so in modulo 5, -2=3, -1=4, etc.

> mod in Pd is much more usable, because it will stay always in the
> positive world, its more a wrapper than a mathematical modulo object.

The idea behind quotient-rings is to be a wrapper.