[PD] perception of sound

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Wed Nov 10 15:41:42 CET 2004

As Chris mentioned, different frequecies "appear" to be louder or
softer. Our ears are especially designed to tune in to the frequencies
of human speech. That's generally why certain music, even when played at
high volume, doesn't blot out you talking to your friend at the club,
restaurant, whatever. Higher freqs, especially those around 1-2 KHz,
seem louder. At higher volumes, these are the some of freqs which also
cause the most discomfort!

See here [linked also from the page Chris mentioned]:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/eqloud.html#c1

Another thing to think about: lower frequencies are less directional
that higher ones. It doesn't take a lot of volume if you use a short,
high frequency "blast" to call someone's attention to a specific spot in
the room. Think about mobile phone ring tones. Or fire alarms.

Last, you might consider using a piezoelectric disc as your speaker.
Usually these are resonant at some very attention-getting frequency, and
can take less power to drive than a normal loudspeaker at the same
pitch. Attaching the disc to another resonant object [big metal box,
etc] will certainly amplify the effect.

best,
d.

--