[PD] Re: [PD-dev] Re: prepend w/ set message - ignore

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Nov 10 16:25:10 CET 2004

On Nov 10, 2004, at 3:38 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote

> Hallo,
> IOhannes m zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
>> just because i am interested and i don't want to think right now.
>>
>> how do you prepend something to a "set" message with
>> [cyclone/prepend]?
>>
>> e.g. i want to construct [foo set bar( out of [foo( and [set bar(
>
> You do this, by converting [set bar( to [list set bar( somehow.
> Unfortunatly that's not trivial at all for lists of unknow length -
> which in turn is, what you use [prepend] for instead of [x $1 $2(
>
> Technically I actually would prefer IEMlib prepend to be the standard
> [prepend] because of this problem, but Cyclone is more Max compatible.
>
> Btw: Both Cyclone and Zexy have [avg~]

There will always be problems with any approach.  There was a
relatively lengthy discussion on this very topic before this decision
was made.  I recommend reading that thread and addressing the issues
that were discussed that lead the Cyclone [prepend] to be chosen.  I
believe it was a compatibility issue.  I didn't make this decision, I
just acted on it.

____

                   ¡El pueblo unido jamás será vencido!