[PD] perception of sound

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Wed Nov 10 16:49:18 CET 2004

hi

" <tboulanger at voila.fr> schrieb:
> Hi list !
>

> It seems for many people that the alarm level is not enough strong, even
> at full blast so here's my question :
> do you know if there are some rules that make a sound appear more strong
> than another at an identic level ?

the crest-factor decribes the energy of the sound in relation to its
amplitude. the waveform with the highest crest-factor is a squarewave
(imagine: the positon of the membrane of the loudspeaker is always at
maximum position). using a square should result in the maximum loudness
at a specific amplitude.
our is ear is the most sensitive in the area between 1 to 4kHz (as chris
and derek already mentioned).

another approach:
what about making the beep-sound of your buzzer pulse? noises without
constant amplitudes seem to get more attention.

roman