[PD] Re: [PD-dev] Re: prepend w/ set message - ignore

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Nov 10 17:29:26 CET 2004

Hi,
Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Nov 10, 2004, at 3:38 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote
>
>> Technically I actually would prefer IEMlib prepend to be the standard
>> [prepend] because of this problem, but Cyclone is more Max compatible.
>>
>> Btw: Both Cyclone and Zexy have [avg~]
>

> There will always be problems with any approach.  There was a
> relatively lengthy discussion on this very topic before this decision
> was made.  I recommend reading that thread and addressing the issues
> that were discussed that lead the Cyclone [prepend] to be chosen.  I
> believe it was a compatibility issue.  I didn't make this decision, I
> just acted on it.

Me, too, in RRADical. ;)

However, Johannes' question is valid: With Cyclone/Max-prepend it
is practically impossible to prepend to lists starting with "set".

That's where I see the need for iem_prepend, but the big question
actually is, what approach should be used for the list handling
*internals* for Pd, that were discussed in Graz. They also need
an object that does prepending to lists. Choosing
Max/Cyclone-prepend for this is a bad solution, because of
Johannes' problem. Because of nameclashes, the name "prepend"
also cannot be used while satisfying both the technical
(prepend to "set") as well as the practical issues (nameclashes,
backwards compatibility).

Maybe we should use a whole new kind of names for the future Pd list
functions, for example taken from the C++-STL conventions like
"push_back", "push_front", "insert" and "erase" instead of the
Lisp'ish "append" and "prepend"? A tempting idea.

Ciao
--
Frank