[PD] readsf~ / soundfiler crash with lots of big files

Stefan Turner stefan_turner at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 10 19:38:02 CET 2004

Hi list

I'm trying to make a piano sample player using a CD I
just got. I have a 'voice' abstraction per pitch and
therefore per sample file, which has a table of the
first 4096 samples preloaded with a loadbanged
readsf~. The readsf~ and tabwrite~ are stopped and the
patch switch~ed off when the table is loaded. This
table is played immediately when the note is hit to
cover the gap between 'open' and '1' to the main
readsf~, which then plays the rest of the original
file from 4096 on.

It works fine with a few voices, but when I try to
have about 12 voices (covering one whole octave!) pd
crashes as soon as it opens and won't behave until I
restart the computer. I guess this is because the
sound files being loaded are quite large (up to 5MB)?
With the table-preloading removed, it doesn't crash.

So basically is there any way around this? I've tried
soundfiler as well, and the same thing happens. Do
both these objects try to load the whole file into
memory even if you tell it to stop after 4096 samples?

Sorry about the length of this, it's fairly tricky to
describe. If anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful!

Stefan Turner