[PD] Re: [PD-dev] Re: prepend w/ set message - ignore

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Fri Nov 12 17:30:43 CET 2004

hi all,

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> yes, there are these cases and those cases. However, the limitation of
> [prepend] is not annoying enough to break compatibility, IMO. ALso you

in case of prepend, I think, there is a compromise possible.  An
object would get the second inlet, but only when instantiated,
max-incompatibly, without arguments.  The 'set' method would still
modify the argument, but only if a) creation arguments were
provided, and b) the global max-compatibility flag was set.
Otherwise, the 'set' method would call the 'anything' method.

I do not think, it is a good idea to have a [prepend this] in
a patch, which actually prepends 'that' (after being set to
'that').  Such objects should read just [prepend].

I wonder, how many maxers use the 'set' feature of prepend?  Or if
they tend to use zl join, perhaps?

Interestingly, sending a single word 'set' to a prepend crashes
Max on the next message to the object...  I am talking about,
4.3.2, the last version I was determined enough to find money
for...

Which is why my advocatus diaboli role is on halt...

Krzysztof