[PD] Use Linux and you will be sued

martin pichlmair pi at attacksyour.net
Fri Nov 19 08:12:42 CET 2004

> be against patents like the european will be, i hope.
> otherwise, you'll never be free again.

you think europe is against patents? until now there is no tendency in
that direction to be seen. we rather slowly implement a us-compatible
patent law. the first steps are already taken ...

> for video formats, we'll be only using theora soon
> ( and theora streemed on icecasr),
> so, yeh we could avoid some patents problems.

well. i'm quite sure that an industry standard like mpeg4 (and any
other legally used codec) is far more secure than an open source
project as theora can be. why? because e.g. apple (the de-facto authors
of big parts of the mpeg4 standard) can afford lawyers to check the
situation, while we can't. and they do deals to protect their assets
while we can't.

does anyone know any patents pd infringes?

looks like a horrific future coming ...

lg
martin