[PD] A growing idea

cyrille henry cyrille.henry at la-kitchen.fr
Fri Nov 19 15:47:54 CET 2004

chun lee a écrit :

> Hi there:
>
> I have been experimenting with making rhythmic patterns in Pd for a little
> while now. however, my approach is a little different.
>
> Instead of building something along the lines of a step sequencer, I tend to
> use very simple probabilities to generate the rhythmic pattern. For example,
> I will have a array of n elements contains random values between say 1 to
> 100. I than step through this array at say 16 elements at the time and loop
> it. After this, I can than do a simple probability by setting a comparison
> variable which effectively says: play a drum sound if the array value is
> larger than than the threshold. Making sense?
>
> I found this method quite effective. Once the right set of probability value
> is found for the probability comparison, I don't need to worry about making
> rhythmic patterns anymore, so I can focus on something else in the
> performance. And since elements are write into an array, it can be saved
> with the patch. And by regenerating the array, you can mutate the rhythmic
> patterns. Also, by changing the values for comparisons, you can adjust how
> busy or spaced your rhythmic patterns are very quickly.

you can make this algo more complex by adding a non linear fonction
beetween you "probability" and your comparison value.
changing the shape of this fonction allow you to have very differents
rythms very easilly with interessant mixing property.

for those who wish other exemple of this kind of rythmic generations,
you can find somes in the chdh website : (in the sound section)
http://dr.pichon.free.fr/chdh/

Cyrille