[PD] pmpd/gem - real swarm behaviour?

Peter Todd peter_todd82 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 19 20:08:06 CET 2004

Hi all,

Actually, I did a project like this myself with granular-ish synthesis in
pd, controled by a boids algorithm in java.  I hadn't piped up before,
because I don't know how much I can really help to solve the problem of
programming a swarm in pd.  Still, maybe I'll try and put some work I have
done online sometime.

Christian,

I have followed with great interest the various threads regarding your
swarms project. In fact I am interested in doing a similar thing, but
with audio rather than graphically.

In terms of behavioural model have you looked at a-life algorithms such
as 'boids' (http://www.red3d.com/cwr/boids/). I'm surprised no-one has
mentioned this, or furthermore, implemented it. Or am I missing the
point of what you are trying to do?

Regards,

Jamie