[PD] GEM: speed of pix_film (fps) manipulation

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Sun Nov 21 22:51:25 CET 2004

hey ya'll,

On Nov 21, 2004, at 2:29 PM, zmoelnig at iem.at wrote:

> Zitiere Tim Blechmann <TimBlechmann at gmx.net>:
>
>> is there any way to figure out the framerate of a movie file from
>> pix_film? i'd prefer to write the scheduler myself ...
>
> unfortunately not.
> Gem ignores the framerate of the movie and plays it back (in
> auto-mode) with its
> internal framerate (probably this is not true on OSX)

...yep, sadly this is true:  besides the auto method, there's also the
(OSX-only) "rate" message (not in the pix_filmNEW/pix_filmQT)...of
course, you can also control the rate of frame playback by setting up a
variable metronome into a counter that loops based on the number of
frames contained in the film...

...and don't forget that by default, the gemwin is set to output at 20
fps...this may've been good for the machines available with the initial
GEM releases, but now I always set it to 60 fps (at least!), or
whatever the refresh rate is of my output...winds up give much smoother
output, and allows gem to do things in the background if necessary, or
nothing at all if not necessary!

> but of course this should change.
> the default should be playback at the framerate of the movie (scaled
> to whatever
> seems apropriate)
> and probably we should add another argument to the info-list (second
> outlet) for
> this parameter.

...in QT we use SetMovieRate()...don't know how it'd be done elsewhere?

hth,
james