[PD] new to the list + ideas

=?X-UNKNOWN?Q?g=FCnter_geiger?= geiger at xdv.org
Mon Nov 22 16:52:54 CET 2004

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Johannes M Zmoelnig wrote:
> > Yes, we still have to write docs. There are actually several things that
> > can not be done with the plugin, like reading from the filesystem etc.
> >
> > This is a serious limitation and we are thinking of including some
> > streaming objects instead.
>
> but it is far more secure to not allow filesystem acess.

I meant streaming objects as in streaming from internet, they would
not need file access.

> > Another limitation is that you can only make one patch (no abstractions
> > etc.). We thought about defining some sort of Pd-bundle format in order
> > to get rid of that limitation. In this case we would create a virtual
> > folder inside the plugin and the plugin would work more or less like
> > a standard Pd (without  externals still).
>
> why not merge good ideas ?
> i think that the way the iARS-plugin handles this is quite ok:
> abstractions and needed externals are kept zipped on the server and are
> downloaded with the MAIN patch.
>
> so you don't have to bundle pdp/Gem or whatever with the main plugin but
> with the application (patch)

The zip file seems to be a good idea in order to be able to load several
patches and subpatches.

I am not sure if this is a good idea for externals, though. We are
planning to make the plugin secure in the future, if we would allow

Guenter