[PD] ASIO latency (windows)

=?X-UNKNOWN?Q?g=FCnter_geiger?= geiger at xdv.org
Mon Nov 22 23:53:42 CET 2004

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, smoerk wrote:
> > Seems that the portaudio code of pd is less than optimal. Not sure if
> > the way to solve this is writing native ASIO code, as it is done currently
> > by Tim and Tom (;)), or to fix the portaudio stuff.
> >
> > Guenter
>
> but it works perfectly with audiomulch. it seems it's not a problem of
> portaudio (afaik ross bencina wrote portaudio and audiomulch), but the
> combination of portaudio and pd.

Thats what I meant with "the portaudio code of pd". Its the way pd uses
portaudio that is wrong. First, I think it uses the maximum number of
buffers. Then, the pablio (portaudio blocking I/O) thing is a bad hack,
as portaudio is meant to be used in a callback model.

Guenter

PS: I have been talking with Ross about this and he sort of agrees, he
is sitting in my office.