[PD] in-memory sample players?

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Tue Nov 23 16:37:58 CET 2004

sven wrote:
> what's the best ext to play in-memory samples?
> it should work on linux and windows.

Frank Barknecht and I spent some time working with his [fluid~] external
last weekend. It uses the libfluidsynth library, so you'll have to check
if there's a windoze version of that.

The cool thing is that it uses SoundFonts, so you can load a large
collection of samples into memory and easily manage them with channel
and controller messages. There are also generators to control loop
points, start points, envelope and various effects such as filters and
reverb.

It is all tied into General MIDI, so you have to accept some
limitations, such as fixed MIDI notes [no microtones!] and the like. You
also have to create a SoundFont of the samples you want to use [ie, by
using Swami or Smurf on Linux], so it's not too good for quick
experimentation.

We found that I could easily emulate the functions of my Particle
Chamber granulator abstraction with [fluid~], with the added benefit
that libfluidsynth takes care of scaling the polyphony.

I'll be spending some time with [fluid~] once Frank or I have found a
way to squeeze a few more features out of it [exporting sample size and
name would be a good start!] to make some granular abstractions which
could be used for pitchshifting and timestretching as well, although
perhaps not as "scientific" as you might like.

Or you could have a look at the SoundFont spec and play around with the
generator functions yourself with [fluid~]. I think the
generator-enabled version Frank made over the weekend is in the
externals CVS now, under Footils.

good luck!
d.

--