[PD] Re: [PD-announce] new [hid] release + simple mapping objects

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Nov 23 23:33:53 CET 2004

On Nov 23, 2004, at 12:13 PM, B. Bogart wrote:

> Hey Hans,
>
> What "smoothing" algo are you thinking of? I've been very very happy
> with
> the low-pass method that Thomas suggested some time ago. Gives you a
> great
> feeling of enertia.

I would like to have a number of different smoothing algorithms so that
you can easily try different ones.  Currently [hid_smooth] uses
maxlib's [average], set to do a weighted average of the last 10 events.
  I'll have to come up with more specific names so that I can have a
number of different smoothing objects available.

> I'm looking forward to a proper HCI tablet driver for OSX or dirrect
> wacom
> support in HID.

Unfortunately, it looks like Wacom didn't write a HID Manager driver,
so you have to program using the Wacom API in order to use the tablet
data.  If they had made it part of the HID Manager, then [hid] would
work for tablets on MacOS X.  The Linux input event system is unified,
so basically everything already works with [hid] on GNU/Linux.  There
is a project to write free Wacom drivers for MacOS X
(http://tabletmagic.sourceforge.net/ ), but I don't know much about it
yet.  I don't even own a tablet...

> I think this is a great project.

Thanks

> I will find the auto-scaling stuff very useful in the near future I
> think...

Let me know how it works for you.

.hc