[PD] Framestein and GEM

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Nov 24 08:39:29 CET 2004

Andres Cabrera wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm curious now =). From what I understand pixes in gem are large
> messages containing the pixels of an image. If Framestein also treats
> pictures as messages maybe a converter object or even an abstraction
> could be written for interchange? Any one know?

neither in Gem nor in pdp nor in GridFlow nor in Framestein it is true,
that pixes are "large messages containing the pixels of an image".

as i can only speak for Gem:
what is passed between objects is a pointer to a structure containing
(beyond others) a pointer to another structure that holds the image-data
(the actual pixel-data + some meta information like width, size,...)

pdp passes an ID between objects, that identificates a memory-area where
the pixel-data plus meta-information plus plus plus is stored.

i am not sure what is passed between GridFlow objects (and Framestein
objects)

the only thing that no gfx-lib uses is passing the raw data as large
messages: this is very inefficient.
however, Gem even provides a way to do this with [pix_dump]: try and see
performance decrease (although this is very flexible...)

mfg.a.dr
IOhannes