[PD] about [serial] object -OSX PD

slimboyfatboyslim slimboyfatboyslim at slimboyfatboyslim.org
Wed Nov 24 12:08:50 CET 2004

hi,

Koray Tahiroglu wrote:

> Hello,
> thanks for the comport object, I put the comport.pd_darwin under the
> extra folder where the other external objects are, then when I ran pd
> it didn't see it as a functioning object. I am using Mac OSX did you
> come across anything like the following error mesages?
>
> ** ERROR ** could not open device /dev/ttyS1:
> failure(2): No such file or directory
>
> comport 1 9600
> ... couldn't create

when I compile he object, I've set comport 0 for the keyspan, so try
comport 0

> /dev/ttyS1 seems like a windows file structure, I have tried all the
> ports but it doesn't see the keysapan-basicstamp. On the other hand I
> have Max/msp Runtime in the same computer and it can communicate with
> basicstamp.

/dev/ttyS1 is linux serial port, I don't know if it's the same as Windows,

so you mean you want to use the comport object in Max also? In Max,
there's a serial object from Jeremy Bernstein but I never try it, ask
Max list instead.

> It might be comport.pd_darwin not a proper compiled extra file.
> do you have any idea, what is wrong?

in you osx /dev, if you correct install the keyspan, there should
/dev/key.US18..... (sth like that), comport 0 belongs to that port.

> cheers,
> Koray

cheers,
SFS