[PD] equal tempered scale object available

Niklas Saers niklas at registrar.no
Thu Nov 25 14:29:44 CET 2004

Hi Mathieu,

Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> Candid question: what's the advantage of that over the builtin [mtof]
> class?...

Mea culpa, I have not used expr much, so when I copied your example
below into Pd I got "no such var 'fl'" when using ftom (I expected this
was what you wanted as the idea was going from a frequency to a number
representation of the note). Using motf I get a syntax error.

The advantage of the implementation is that it really makes it easy to
make other scales. Most litterature on tempered scales I've read starts
with the equal tempered scale and says how many cent certain tones
deviate from the equal tempered scale. Thus, with this basis it's rather
simple to make a meantone, werkmeister, valotti, kirnberger and other
scales. That's where I'm heading next. (just need to dig up the books
again and get an exam passed) :-)

Would you check if your solution described below works and possibly send
me a Pd file with it? I'd really like to try it out. Performance-wise
I'm not very happy with the Python implementation as I find it too slow
for real-time use and need to make it less responsive by use of a metro
or similar for my hardware, so I'm considering rewriting it in C.

Cheers

    Nik