[PD] equal tempered scale object available

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Sun Nov 28 01:50:09 CET 2004

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004, Miller Puckette wrote:

> Pd offers a 'div' which should perhaps have been named 'floor'.  It
> does 'correct' integer division so that Y = X * div(Y,X) + mod(Y,X).

Well, in C/C++, floor is a function with only one argument, and in Ruby
it's a method of the Float class with zero arguments, and that covers
pretty much everything called "floor" that I am aware of, so it shouldn't
be called floor; there's the special case [div 1] which would be a special
case of floor, but the rest doesn't follow: the only other argument I
could imagine to floor that would make sense would be a granularity
setting, like:

[div g]

[* g]

The defining feature of floor(x,g) being that x=floor(x,g) exactly when x
is a multiple of g. This is most especially useful (and usual) as
floor(x,0.01) for rounding to two decimals, or floor(x,pow(10,-n)) for
rounding to n decimals.