[PD] Gem - Texturing? UV Mapping? etc.

Christian Klotz list_pd at deviation.de
Wed Dec 1 01:46:15 CET 2004

hi
On Nov 30, 2004, at 10:07 PM, james tittle wrote:

> hey,
>
> On Nov 30, 2004, at 3:42 PM, Christian Klotz wrote:
>
>> Hi list,
>> playing around with Gem and some obj models a few questions came to
>> my mind.
>> - when I started a bit texturing obj models, I asked myself how to
>> get even a bit more complex 3d objects (think of a car or something
>> like that) textured with gem. Did anyone already try something like
>> this or know how to deal with it? I would really like to work with
>> gem doing things like that ;) is there some uvmap support under
>> development?
>
> ...as you can tell, we don't have support (yet) for uv textures on
> models beyond the primitives:  main reason is that none of the
> developer's have really really really needed it :-)  So, it's still on
> the to-do, but not what I'm personally working on atm...otoh, I'd
> really like to see 3ds model loading, so maybe this'll all get done in
> the next while?

this would be really nice. I am not that interested in creating sound
or music stuff but I like the way pd works. so everytime I have an idea
- often based on some graphical stuff - I check if pd may be a way to
deal with it. I also checked vvvv by meso.net - but I dont like the way
its licensed as well as the fact that its just running on windows
machines. But I have to admit that there are really some pretty nice
graphic features. But the uv mapping is definitly one of the basic
features for handling complex 3d object/scenes in a way that wont look
just as a kind of experimental ;)

>> - another thing. I read a post of 2002 about adding multitexturing
>> and bump mapping - which where added to the prior to do list. have
>> they ever been implemented? I think its quite important for people
>> doing graphic stuff with pd - and as it seems to me by reading the
>> mailinglists every day, there is more and more interest in using pd
>> together with gem.
>
> ...funny you should mention it:  I just committed (into the gem cvs
> head) a bunch of opengl wrapper stuff that deals with the basics of
> multitexture...but there still aren't any example patches, and to be
> sure, I still haven't played with it to find out how well it'll work
> :-/  I originally thought to make a [pix_multitexture], but this
> didn't seem right, once I read more about how multitexturing
> works...basically, every texture is loaded into memory, then by
> default they become "texture unit 0" when being added to a model or
> geo...so, now that there's a wrapper for glActiveTextureARB, you
> should be able to change the texture to a different texture unit, and
> thereby be able to do the different combine's or program's that are
> the reason for multitexture's allure :-)

ok, I think I got it - an example would be nice therefore as well :)

> ...and if I remember correctly, bump-mapping is just a kind of
> multitexturing where one texture is used as a lookup table for normal
> values to apply to another object...so technically, I think the basics
> are there in cvs:  I'll try to actually drum up some examples tonight
> (if no real-life (tm) hassles popup)!

it would be great to see something in action - thank you so far. I am
looking forward :)

cheers,
christian
---
Christian Klotz
Kunsthochschule Kassel / School of Arts Kassel ::digitalpool