[PD] horizontal video lines

sara kolster sara at x-i.net
Fri Dec 3 10:05:11 CET 2004

Hi Chris / list,

At http://www.umatic.nl/pdp_picts.html you can see what a such a horizontal line looks like.
Sometimes you can get similar results when you change the field
dominance when you edit / compress video. See quote below from a mail i
got from Miguel Carvalhais.

<quote>
usually it comes from swapping the field order in videos, so if your
video standard/codec uses lower field before upper field and you
compress the video the other way around (upper first) then that means
that by reversing the fields you get a bit of a flickering in the image
as within each frame you're seeing reversed fields..

in a simpler explanation: when you have a sequence of frames 1 - 2 - 3
- 4 - 5 - etc you have a sequence of fields within each frame:

1L - 1U - 2L - 2U - 3L - 3U - 4L - 4U - etc... each field containing
half of a frame... if you number this correct order of fields then you
get:
F1 - F2 - F3 - F4 - F5 - F6 - F7 - F8 - etc
when they get swapped, this happens:
F2 - F1 - F4 - F3 - F6 - F5 - F8 - F7 - etc
so whenever we advance in time, we also skip backwards within each
frame...
this effect is not too visible if there's not much motion but in takes
with more movement it can become rather obvious...
</quote>

I don't know how pd handles the field dominance of the video-input, but
maybe it could help if you could manually change the field dominance
from: not set, to upper and lower.

Just a thought, don't know if it's possible and if it would fix the problem.

Ciao,

Sara