[PD] understand soundfiler

Marc Boon marcboon at dds.nl
Fri Dec 3 12:46:01 CET 2004

� wrote:

> The problem lies a bit deeper. "\ " works well, the problem is that
> tcl/tk doesn't let you put "\ " in a message box (simplified explanation).

As a pd beginner, I was puzzeled by this at first. I tried the same, but got
messages like '\ dropped' in the terminal window whenever I tried escaping
special characters like space, comma, semicolon and quotes in messages.

> Symbols do allow for spaces. As spaces are a symbol delimiter by default,
> they have to be escaped in order to be part of a symbol.
> So its not a problem of pd syntax, more one of implementation/GUI issues

Is there a good mechanism to enter escaped characters through the GUI, or do you
just have to hack them into the .pd files with a text editor?

I find having to use constructs with list2symbol or makefilename etc a bit
annoying, and highly confusing in terms of patch readability.