[PD] real time vocoder

Joseph A. Sarlo jsarlo at ucsd.edu
Sun Dec 5 05:12:07 CET 2004

Hi guys,

If you're talking about the phase-vocoder patches, you can't to simply
replace the tabreads with adcs, especially for the phase-locked vocoder.
I've recently cooked up some phase-vocoder externals that work with
frequency and magnitude data directly via Miller's hop-1 analysis and his
phase-locking ideas (see http://crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/publications.html),
rather than staying in rectangular coordinates like the doc pvoc patches do.
The upsides are that 1) it's much easier to manipulate things from a
frequency domain aspect (at least for my way of thinking) and 2) they can
work in real-time without tabsend style buffering. The downsides are that 1)
in some pitch shifting cases they don't sound quite as good (but I'm still
working on this) and 2) they cost a little more computation. I was planning
to release them to the public after I smoothed them out a bit, but if anyone
wants to try them let me know.

Joe
jsarlo at ucsd.edu