[PD] Giving Linux Audio a spin

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Dec 6 20:26:46 CET 2004

Hallo,
Josh Henne hat gesagt: // Josh Henne wrote:

>  I'm fairly new to Linux as an OS, and want to try running linux alongside
> WinXP. The only programs I'd like to run are PD&GEM+everyotherexternal (of
> course), supercollider, rosegarden, and Blender. I also have about 4 commercial
> VSTs, and lots of free effects that I'd like to run in Linux under PD. I've done
> some reading about getting VST's to work using WINE, Jack and a couple of other
> things. I have about 10gigs of un-partitioned space on my main harddrive, and
> was thinking of installing Debian, Suse, or Free-BSD distro. Any recomendations
> as far as a good distro for PD?

Any Linux-Distribution is good for Pd. For Linux audio in general,
you might want to head over to the linux-audio-user list (when the
current flame war over there has lost momentum), which is generally a
nice place to get help regarding general linux questions.

For a distribution that's easy to set up and includes nice Pd
packages, I can recommend Agnula/Demudi.

Ciao