[PD] control voltage

Martin Peach martinrp at vax2.concordia.ca
Thu Dec 9 18:19:32 CET 2004

patrick wrote:

> hi all,
>
> is there a way to read control voltage output in pd using a soundcard? what
> object should i use with adc~? can i simply plug the CV (maximum of 6 volts)
> to my soundcard or i need to buy an analog to digital converter?
Soundcards usually are capacitively coupled to their inputs, so the
response drops off as the frequency drops below a few cycles per second,
leaving no response at all for DC, which control voltage mostly is. One
way around would be to pass the CV through an analog multiplexer that
was rapidly switching between your CV and ground. If you know how to do
electronics a bit you could use a 4052 analox mux and a 555 oscillator
running about 1kHz to switch it.
I would go for a PIC16F88 microcontroller, which has 7 10-bit ADC
channels, outputting MIDI.

Martin